Verse for the day

September 22, 2011

8th Romanian Summary – Turning Point



Wednesday, July 13th
Morning exercises – I’m getting use to this and it’s actually a very fun way to start the day.
Breakfast – Muesli a.k.a. raw oats with seeds…not bad (it’s all in perspective)
I’m not homesick anymore and feel settled into our new home and mission.  It’s like jumping into a pool of cold water.  The shock of the change is just that ~ a shock to all systems, but given time, all is well… with lots of fun and memories sprinkled in prayerfully all for God's glory!

The Hike – apparently a “tradition” for all Romanian camp experiences.  In fact, we heard about the hike from the moment we arrived.  And now the big day was here ~ we were going on a hike!

Many thoughts were running through my head: 
“Good thing Amy did pack that 2nd pair of tennis shoes, flip flops are probably not a good idea for a hike.” 
“Not a big deal for this amateur missionary . . . a little hike?  After scaling the rock wall, this should be a piece of cake!”

I was feeling rested and strong, and settled into my new environment.  Fortunately, the rock wall endeavor allowed some bonding to take place between myself and the orphans  J 

The hike – EIGHT MILES!  Three miles on the road to the mountain, one mile up the mountain, one mile back down the mountain, and three miles back to camp requiring a total of four hours of time. 
This experience was U N B E L I E V A B L E!  In America, this hike would definitely be classified as intense!  I feel quite sure that a medical exam would be required with many signs posted saying not for children, those weak of heart, or the elderly! 

The mountain was treacherous, slippery, and steep.  A walking cane and a partner were a must.  A few orphans were determined to stay by my side, and I certainly could not have made it without them.  They handed me a big stick at the foot of the mountain and cheered me on the entire way up and back down.

Lunch was served when we returned to camp at 3:00 p.m. ~ soup with coos coos.  I enjoyed this meal the most of all.  (I wonder why!)  Afterwards, it was announced that the zip line was open for all!  At this point, I guess I was delirious or becoming puffed up from all of my new learned skills.  SO if the Carpathian mountains weren’t enough, hanging upside down while zip-lining across a mountain and river won the prize!  This was scary, oh so scary, but it sure gave me a story to tell!
Dinner was moved to 8 p.m. with chapel and game time to follow.  I didn't have trouble sleeping that night at all!

No comments: