Verse for the day

February 8, 2011

On Being a Grandmother

Abi -
You are 35 weeks now and expecting Adrian's arrival in just 28 days!  Oh my that is so hard to believe!
I still remember picking up the phone this summer to the sound of giddy, unrestrained joyful voices on the other end.  I KNEW then what the purpose of that call was ~ to tell me YOU WERE PREGNANT!

It has been exciting to watch this precious one grow inside of you.  We are ready now to meet him and begin watching him grow.   You will grow too - oh not on the outside any more, but inside.  I have no doubt that you and Nick will be wonderful parents.  Get ready - I've always said that
"Children are a gift from the Lord,
but the unwrapping is what
takes place in our own hearts." 
You will learn more about yourself through your new role in life as his mommy.

Of course with the anticipation of your new season, I can't help but anticipate mine . . . as a Grandmother.
Grandmothers use to have grey hair ~ not any more!  Grandmothers use to stay home all the time ~ not any more!  And Grandmothers use to be old ~ definitely not any more! 

I was blessed to have two wonderful Grandmothers in my own life.  They were as opposite as night is from day; however, both were very special to me in their own way.  They say I was most like my dad's mom . . . Grace Lillian. 

We called her MomMom.  She was prim and proper, but always smiling!  I don't think she owned a pair of pants and I'm sure I never saw her without her shoes and stockings on.  Her steps were ordered, her ways were gentle, and her words were kind.  (You're probably wondering now why I was most like her.)  I loved watching her routines.  Breakfast in the mornings were an important part of her day.  She always set the table as if company were coming even if she was the only one to sit down and partake of the meal.  This meal consisted of a full menu ~ eggs, sausage, grits, toast, juice, and hot tea.  She didn't come to the table unless she was fully dressed as if she were headed to worship.  Every outfit was complete with a necklace and earrings.  She stayed busy throughout the day, but never seemed in a hurry.  Dinner for the evening was prepared and on the stove by lunch time.  She enjoyed sharing letters from her own siblings for our entertainment ~ it seems there was always a fresh letter she had just received in the mail.  Her bedtime rituals were as predictable as her morning chores.  She took time to wind down her day, getting ready for the next day the night before.  I don't remember ever spending the night with her, but enjoyed it when she came to our home.  She gave the best back scratches!  She never met your Daddy which means she never met you.  I loved her and miss her.  Mommom really was a lady of grace.



My mom's mother was known as that . . . Mother to my mom, and Grandmother to us.  However, she was far from prim and proper as the name might imply.  She was always carefree, laughing, and ready for a fun time.  The only time I saw Grandmother in a dress was for a special occasion.  She was casual which allowed us to be very comfortable in her home.  This is where the cousins spent many days playing together.  Just as you had the opportunity for "pampering trips" at your grandparent's home, we were given the thrill of camping with them many summers.  Yes, it truly was a thrill for me to enjoy weeks at the campground - the Olde Corrundum Mill Campground in Franklin, NC.  They had "sang'ins" there, lazy days, the cold rapids to wade in, and many memories were made there for all of us.  Grandmother loved it so much there that after her Grandpa died, she lived in those mountains every summer.  She DID get to meet your Daddy and O how she loved him!  They had a very special bond together.  He loved to tease her and she would blush and laugh with a twinkle in her eye.  She did get to know some of my children and loved each one.  I love her and miss her.  Grandmother was a woman of great joy.


Now you have had the blessing as well of having two wonderful grandmothers!  Again, each one different, but together they have been part of a rich heritage.  Grandma has been quite a woman of faith for you to look up to.  Life has not been easy for her with the early deaths of her husband and precious son.  She has done well to keep her focus on the Lord and encourage you to do the same.  She has stayed far away from bitterness, and has modeled a strong faith in God before you.  Life at her house has many memories for you, I'm sure.  Grandma and Papa were relaxed and their farm was your domain.  They loved watching you grow.  Grandma speaks what is on her heart which is a good thing ~ she offers counsel, word gifts, and encouragement every time you are with her.  She counts you as a bonus gift from the Lord since your daddy was a "bonus" to her - an unexpected blessing.  She will be thrilled to welcome the beginning of more bonuses in her life.  Grandma is a woman of silent strength.



Grammy, Full of Fun #1, is just that ~ lots of fun, and has enjoyed being a Grandmother from the get-go.  She anticipated your birth as much as I did.  You would never know that she has lived miles away throughout these years because we know her as if we lived around the corner.  Grammy and Granddaddy have been intentional about their relationship with the grandchildren.  The one-on-one pampering trips have proved to be a great blessing for everyone.  You will always remember those two special weeks with them.  Not only did you get to experience being an only child, but you were loved on and blessed to the max while spending time in their home.  They have always been there for you not missing any pillar point moments or celebrations in your life.  Grammy's favorite words of encouragement are "Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things."  She also loves to wrap up a difficult day or hard season with this promise . . . "Joy comes in the morning."                      Grammy is a lady of beauty in every way.

Many of my friends have modeled Grandmothering before me in the most beautiful ways!  I have LOTS of amazing role models for this next season in my life.  I am so excited about this journey.  As I stand on the edge of a new generation I have a hunch it's going to be full of blessings!  I am not the same person I was when I faced motherhood.  I'm beginning to see now that this could be why grandmothering will be so much sweeter.  God has unwrapped my heart with each gift He has entrusted to me.  It has been stretched, broken, healed, and restored.  His grace has rained on the inside and outside through the years of my own parenting season of which I'm still priviledged to enjoy. 

I love you and celebrate this time of expectancy with you.

2 comments:

Abi said...

You are going to be a great Momsie! I'm excited about the years to come!!!

Lori said...

I thought it was Gramsie!