The previous post was by my daughter Abi who came up with the idea for a man book. This post includes page one in my daughter, Kayla's, husband book.
May their hearts towards purity
encourage you.
Kayla remembers . . . I started my husband book at the beginning of the second semester of my freshman year - almost two months before I started dating Ben, who ended up being the one I was writing to. I heard of the idea from a few other people and thought it would be a neat way to record what the Lord was doing in my heart while I was waiting on Him.
I knew I wanted to be married someday, but that felt like it would be forever away so I bought the biggest journal I could find and started pouring out my heart to the man I would one day marry. One month later, that man sat me down and asked to pursue me. Almost exactly two years after I started writing the book, we were married. Needless-to-say, the majority of the time I spent writing in the book was while we were already in a relationship - not during the waiting and not knowing part. (I didn't write Ben's name in the book until much later, but I still knew it was him).
I used the book to write down things that were going on in my heart that I couldn't share with Ben at the time. I wanted him to be able to go back later and read everything I was thinking in every stage of our relationship along the way.
I especially used it as a prayer journal, which kept me diligent in praying Scripture for him, and for us. I was completely shocked when upon our engagement, Ben presented me with a book of his own that he had been writing for me since before we were dating. I kept mine a secret until our wedding day, but now we both have a treasured book from the other that records every little stage of our relationship along the way, and the incredible faithfulness of our God!
January 2008
Dear husband . . .
To start off, I have to say that the idea of writing a whole book of letters to you seems a little ridiculous since I’m not even sure you exist. I know most people get married, and I kinda have a feeling I will, but at the same time I know I’m not guaranteed that gift. So…I’ll be pouring out my heart to you in this book with the hope that I’ll one day be able to give it to you, but I also know that it may be something that I’ll have the pleasure to offer to the Lord if He calls me to a life of singleness. Anyways I’m just going to write with faith that you are out there somewhere and God will bring you to me in His perfect timing.
Having said all that . . . the first thing you need to know is that I already love you. I love you for who God has created you to be and I love you for the person He is developing inside you. I’m loving you by guarding my heart and saving all of me for you. Thankfully, God knows how bad I am at guarding myself so He’s graciously been guarding me Himself.
As I write this, I’m seventeen and a freshman in college and I’ve never had a boyfriend. Like I said, you can thank the Lord for that one. He’s kept boys far away for the most part and I’m now beginning to see how merciful that is. I can’t wait to meet you, by the way. It seems like almost every time I meet a guy I wonder if he’s you…then it becomes very clear that he’s not. God is doing a great job of keeping us from each other until it’s His timing, and although I am so grateful for that, I still kinda wish I knew who you were.
I am praying for you, every day. I hope you’re praying for me too, God only knows how much I need it. I pray that you will love the Lord with all your heart, kept your mind, body and spirit completely pure, have a humble and teachable heart, and constantly be growing in the Lord. I also am praying that you will be taller than me. I am also praying that God will grow me into the godly, virtuous, teachable, beautiful woman you will need. I’m waiting for you, sweetheart. I know God is working on both of us to bring us together in His beautiful timing. And for the record, I’m really excited to see when that will be!
I love you,
Kayla

No comments:
Post a Comment