Verse for the day

February 14, 2010

Happy FIFTY-FIRST Mom and Dad!

Valentine's Day has always been a special day for me.  My parents were married on this day - February 14, 1959.  I remember ALWAYS waking up to a table full of red and white presents.  Mom's love-language is giving / gifts and so even though this was "their" day, she included my brother and I in the celebration.

I appreciate many things about their marriage:
1.  Mom and Dad ALWAYS had a Saturday date night!  After we enjoyed a steak dinner with baked potatoes, corn and salad, they unapologetically left us with a baby-sitter while they went to a movie.  Even though they have been empty-nesters for decades, they still make date nights a priority.
2.  Dad ALWAYS remembered this special day with a gift - usually a piece of beautiful jewelry OR . . . yes, pretty lingerie! 
3.  Mom was ALWAYS there for my Dad.  I cannot remember one single meal that she did not prepare for him - not one, including breakfast. 
3.  Mom and Dad ALWAYS made a weekend away once a year a priority.  It was usually to a marriage retreat or conference of some type enjoyed by themselves or with a group of other couples.
4.  Mom and Dad have always made time for each other as well as for others.  They serve, serve, serve and are a blessing to so many.

Happy Valentine's Day - Thank you for giving me the gift of growing up in a home with a strong marriage and with God as the head of our home!

You are beautiful inside and out - and, I might add, you both are LOOKIN' GOOD today!  I love you with all my heart.

1 comment:

Michele Helms said...

What a sweet tribute to them! Your parents are amazing!