Verse for the day

August 20, 2010

The Best Breakfast Ever!

I was blessed to grow up in a wonderful home! It is fun sharing memories of my childhood with my children. God encourages us to do just that ~ testify and share of His goodness with our children and our children’s children.

Growing up in Florida did not allow for many cold winter mornings. In fact, only two frosty days stand out in my mind. The first one came when I was in 4th grade. I can’t remember the name of my teacher, but I can recall every detail of her appearance. Groovy is the word we would have used to describe her back then. She stood out among the other teachers – she was young, in-style, and FUN. I don’t remember one single lesson taught in her class, but I do remember the songs we sang. She started every class strumming her guitar and singing songs about America --- “This land is your land this land is my land, from California, to the New York Island. From the redwood forest, to the gulf stream waters, this land was made for you and me!”

One particular day of recess stands out in that class. It was cold – freezing cold and I came to school wearing my winter gloves. Now these gloves were just that, white frilly Easter gloves not warm wooly mittens. I’m sure that I wasn’t trying to make a fashion statement. They were probably all that we had hidden in a drawer unprepared to protect me from the surprise of a winter’s day in the Sunshine state! I can almost feel the thin sheet of ice spread across the little mud puddle on the playground to this day. Carefully, I picked it up amazed that I was actually touching winter! I believe God spoke to me during that experience with creation.

Another winter morning started off in a way I will never forget. We had a small home with a tiny kitchen. Again because our home was nestled in the Sunshine State, it wasn’t prepared for cold days either. On this particular morning, in order to keep our kitchen warm as we ate breakfast; my mom sliced pieces of pound cake (the old family 1-2-3-4 cake recipe), lavishly buttered them, and broiled them in the oven. Oh the warmth of the broiler along with the smell of the sweet CAKE was the best breakfast and start to any day. I was in high school facing the SAT exam, but starting the day with cake and coming out of that test to snowflakes in the air bring sweet memories to my heart!

The only way to bring to life those reflections is to share them with my children. I bet I only had cake for breakfast that one wintry day, but in my mind it was the best breakfast ever and it seems like this was a regular on the menu! It was not cold today, but we dedicated our breakfast to the anticipation of crisp, chilly school mornings.

No comments: